Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sorry It's Been A While

Hello everyone! I apologize for not having updated you for so long. But things are still crazy and I am still exhausted! Anyways. Now, I shall go over the past events that have taken place over the last week.
Thursday: Well on Thursday I woke up a little late and rushed to get ready. I ate a nice breakfast of cornflakes and cake. That day I went to school and when we came back I had to go to an Italian lesson (every person on this program has to do 40 hours of Italian lessons). And so, Antonella drove me to the house where I would be taking lessons (The picture of the street is the street where I take lessons), and we go and ring the buzzer, only to be told that we came the wrong day and that next week starting Monday I would have a lesson every day. Whoops! And so we returned home and Antonella returned to work and Emanuela and I just chilled and watched Italian T.V. shows (well really they're American but Italian is dubbed in and you can hear the english in the background sometimes).
Friday: After school that day Emanuela and I stayed in Catanzaro Lido and went out for lunch and ate a panini. Then we met up with Kevin (the boy I sit next to in class) and we went to see their friend, Luca, who had just gotten surgery on his eye. We walked down an alley with crumbling buildings on either side, full of graffiti, and plastic bags and Bueno wrappers floated past in the warm breeze. Then we turned a corner and the first thing I noticed was a bar called Cortes with a picture of a peg-legged pirate on the sign. We stopped at a tall, rather nicely done-up apartment building and they rang the buzzer and Emanuela and Kevin told me that when someone answered I would have to yell "Ciao Santoro!" .....but nobody answered. So we rang again. And again. finally we just went inside and basically fooled around in the fancy elevator and ran around on the stairs and made face-prints on the clean shiny windows. We eventually figured out that no one was home and so we left and went down a few more alleys until we came to what looked like a tennis court, but really you play soccer. This is where I met many of Kevin's friends as well as Emanuela's. I didn't catch any of their names. Oh! Except Fabrizio and another Francesco. There was one person in particular that I met, who seemed to take a considerable amount of interest in my "boyfriend situation," as well as a considerable amount of interest in following me around and trying to....tickle me...? And then just before he left he says to me, "You ehmmmmmm.....you....very bootiful girl." And I say "Ummmm...grazie...oh! Ciao! Haha yeah Ciao! ciao." Yeah. So that was...interesting. Soon after many others departed including Emanuela and I and we came home to a wonderful meal and then we were off to bed.
Saturday: So after a long and boring day at school, Emanuela and I came home and ate lunch and then prepared to go out again that night. We weren't as fancy though because it was "cold" and it was raining. We went to Catanzaro Lido again, and met up with Manu's boyfriend again and had a panini...again. I had ordered one that sounded pretty good. It had bacon, mozzarella, tomato sauce, and.....eggplant! What? Oh my God. The first bite was good. The second bite....ok, a little funky. And then I am about to take a third bite when AH! What is that grey, slimy looking thing dangling out of my sandwich? Oh....crap (carefully pull alllll the grey funky things out and sneakily hide it in my napkin). After I finished my sandwich I washed it down with a nice, slightly less sweet than the American version, Coca cola. Ahhhhhh.
After that we went to a Creperia (I can't spell it) and we had a crepe full of Nutella. YUMMM!! Although, next time Emanuela wants to spend time with her boyfriend, I don't think I will go...
Sunday: So Sunday I slept until 11:30 when the sound of the on-going traffic suddenly grew louder. That morning I walk into the kitchen and I am hit with a wonderfully overpowering aroma, only to find Antonella zipping around the kitchen in a blur talking to herself in very speedy Italian. She told me not to have a big breakfast because on Sundays, they eat very large lunches. But I still ended up having a piece of cake, some cornflakes, and a pudding the Antonella wanted cleaned up.
Lunch that day was fries (basically) with fried chicken, tomatoes in olive oil and oregano, bread, and prosciutto (ham). It was incredibly delicious. And afterwards we had gelato. I was so stuffed! Then after lunch I had to dust and scrub the tile floor in my room. And then, when all the house chores were finished, we took Doriana (my other host sister) back to university (she was there, but she came back for a few days). When Dory was gone the rest of us went to a huge mall in Catanzaro and went shopping. Antonella insisted on buying me some shirts. The mall was full of fancy dancy stores with Guess and all that stuff. Not normally my style, but it's very Italian. And if you can't beat'em, join'em. So I suppose maybe while I'm here I will learn a bit on how to dress "properly."
Monday: Back to school! Joy....
Our bus arrived at the school late that morning and so, as a result, we weren't allowed in the first class. I was simply overjoyed, and suggested we go grab a coffee and come back.  NBD (No Big Deal) right? Well I got looked at like I was mental. And so, we sat on the staircase until the next class and we sat through a very, VERY long day. Then we came home and ate leftovers from Sunday, and I went to my Italian lesson. Then we ate dinner and after I was helping clean up, and everyone was talking to me in Italian and I was so confused and I randomly had a break down for no reason. So messed. But after I cheered up again and we all toddled off to bed.
Tuesday: Yesterday I woke up with a feeling of incredible sadness and I had no idea why. Absolutely no clue. But I got up and got ready and went to school, when my head began to pound. It hurt like crazy and during class I' sure I looked like I was dead. Emanuela asked if I wanted to go home but I said it was ok. I'm not THAT sissy. But she texted her parents anyways without my knowledge and suddenly I was in the car going home. On the way back we stopped at a fruit store. It was basically a hole in a huge crumbling building that probably shouldn't even be standing, overflowing with fresh fruit. After the fruit purchase we stopped at another store to stock up on Nutella (it's a verrrryyyy big thing here). When we get home we have a nice lunch of spaghetti and after we have melba toast and Nutella and they sent me straight to bed. They wouldn't even let me help clean up. I slept through my Italian lesson. When I woke up I had a Nutella sandwich and apparently ate all the grapes so now we have a CRATE of grapes here.
I slept very well last night.
Today: Today was better. I was in a good mood and I was talking and socializing with people. Gregorio told me I was crazy, but I'm not crazy. Only compared to him haha!
Oh yeah I went to the supermarket with Emanuela last night and I saw HORSE and OSTRICH meat.....AS BABY FOOD!!!! I was absolutely mortified. I literally almost died.




Anyways. Back to today! After school I went to my Italian lesson again....it was ok. And now, I am sitting in the kitchen, half writing this and half looking out the window watching the sunset over the sea, turning the fluffy clouds pink and orange. It will be dark here soon. And then we will have a delicious supper, and I shall go to bed.

7 comments:

  1. sorry the ostrich one is so big i dont know what happened

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Mik! I love reading them and I Love the pictures.
    Can you put up some pics of some of the kids that you talk about, your home, school and room?
    It would be great to see.
    Keep it up and enjoy the journey. We are so proud of you!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better, you Nutella head you. It is SOOOOOO delicious! There used to be a crepe place in our mall that sold Nutella dessert crepes and they were truly dangerous! That Ostrich looks strangely like a turkey to me. The horse, however, GAG, looks just like a horse. I guess if a child asks for a pony in Italy, they are just asking for something to eat?! haha Hope you will catch up on your sleep soo. Glad to hear that it has cooled down for you, and I hope it lasts. I am still waiting here!!! Ciao Bella! XO Auntie Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. hoooooow do you remember all this stuff. sounds sweet! are you kind understanding italian yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, For those in doubt of the ostrich food, you have to scroll over as the picture is big. There you will see the ostrich, next to the turkey.
    They probably think what we give our babies here is strange too.
    teehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!!! Thanks Mom :) see? SEE?! It IS an ostrich!!! Just scroll to the side a bit jeez

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stand corrected. I didn't see a place to scroll over. My computer needed to updated with a newer version of Internet explorer. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete