Monday, September 13, 2010

Finally here - From flying to orientation to everything else...its gonna be a long one

Alright. So let's start with the flight.  It was long.  And boring. And I had to sit next to a scary guy who ended up getting drunk off plane wine at one point...but he helped me get through London airport, which was weird, but nice of him. London was actually pretty easy I was so relieved. However my flight to Rome was an hour late and when I arrived at the dorm one of my roomates grinned and said "Ah the infamous Mikeala who never showed up" and I thought great. Wonderful. Nah it was funny.  I ended up with 5 other roomates...there were 2 from Quebec and 1 from Ontario and 1 from France and 1 from...I can't remember haha.  But they were all very nice.  I hung out with Alyssa (Ontario) the most...but I met lots of cool other people from all over the world, including a girl from Latvia and Bosnia, a couple people from America, some Argentinians, one of which was very eccentric and a real flirt but he was hilarious...Santiago was his name. Classic. I also met some German dudes who were pretty cool.
The day after orientation we went to the airport where I had to pay 100 euros for overweight fees. Awesome. Then I flew to Catanzaro and my host family picked me up. They're so nice! But I feel so tall..for once in my life!  The house is gorgeous...Italy is gorgeous!  I can see the Mediterranean from here...and the school I attend is right next to it.
Speaking of school I started school today...it was very scary...and..awkward.  We waited half the morning for things to finally get organized but it was still messed so I followed the English teacher all day. We started off in a class with kids the age of 14..the third class had kids my age or about a year older maybe...or two..then we went to another class full of kids who were graduating this year. In every class I got asked at least once how old I was and what was my name...asked every time by a guy :/ and I also received a weird wink/nod and tons of staring...my hair got fluffed once and I even received a very straight up "you are beautiful" and I was like "ummmmmm.....grazie...." (turn away and never look that direction again) haha. yup. awkward.
After school we came home and hung out after lunch and then we went out and I saw a bit of Botricello. It's very beautiful here...but it's super hot and you NEVER stop sweating.
Anyways I need to go because supper will be soon....oh by the way the food really is amazing, except I have no idea what any of it is called. All I know is that there's almost always pasta involved!
So I will leave you all for now!
Ciao!
-Mikeala

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mikeala
    So happy, and relieved that you have arrived safely in Botricello. Your host family is so cute and they seem very nice! Enjoy everything and ask lots of questions about everything too. You will never regret learning as much as you can during this wonderful experience! Get some recipes too! haha Can't wait to see some pictures of your new home and surroundings! Have a wonderful time! xoxoxo Auntie Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried twice, now three times to post a comment but they don't seem to get through.?? It looks like you have ended up with a wonderful family Mikeala and I know you will have such a wonderful experience!!!! Can't wait to hear more. Write it all down as you will always want to remember this fantastic time in your life. Love you and are so proud of you!! Love Auntie Tami

    ReplyDelete