Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Napoli

So, the other night I returned from Napoli. Well I actually returned from Castellamare, which is just near Napoli and that's where the camp for all the AFS exchange students from Calabria and Campagnia was held. I had a blast!
My rash is basically gone now, everywhere except my feet. I'm glad that piece of poo is over. It's too bad I had it during the camp though.
Anyways, so Thursday morning I woke up early and threw a few last minute things into my bag and me and Antonio set off for Catanzaro Lamezia where I would meet with a Thai girl named Sue Sue (pronounced Sih Sih). Soon we were on the train - which was actually very nice I'll have you all know. It was pretty comfy. I actually quite enjoyed the train ride. Not only was it comfortable but the stuff you got to see was awesome. We travelled along the coast for most of the way but there were some parts where we went through the mountains. It was very beautiful. There were lots of old houses and tiny mountain villages. That's more my forte!
Sue Sue!


Once we got off the train in Napoli Centrale, Sue Sue and I were greeted by Daniela and we then went with her and caught a train to Castellamare. But we missed the first train so we had to wait 40 minutes. So during that time I got a calzone...with ricotta and bacon?? Every time I order food in Italy there's always some sort of surprise. Then we went to the bathroom and we had to pay 1 euro..to go PEE! Ridiculous I tell you. As soon as we arrived at the campus we were quickly ushered into the dining area where we ate a wonderful meal of pasta in tomato sauce followed by shake and bake (or something like it) chicken and french fries, followed by a bowl of fruit where I helped myself to an enormous and extremely delicious peach. Then we found our rooms. I shared a room with a girl from Iceland (Islandia) named Freyja, and another Thai girl named Waipapan...? Anyways they were both really nice.
That day we all gathered in a meeting room and we began orientation. And, although I was supposed to be paying attention, I was too interested in looking out the window where you could see the sea, and then Mt. Vesuvius rising up above the city.
Throughout the day we played games, and listened to lectures until it was supper time. Castellamare was the first time I have had fresh bread since I arrived in Italy and I can tell you it was absolutely wonderful.
Later that night I met lots of really cool people, including a guy from Serbia, several people from Turkey, and one from Hungary, and even one from Egypt.
Soon we were told to go to bed. The rooms weren't exactly the nicest things in the world. You would get the occasional spring sticking into your gut, as well as a flat and lumpy pillow, but I was so tired it didn't matter.
The next morning we woke up at 7:00 and had breakfast at 8:00 and had to be upstairs in the meeting room at promptly 9:00. And, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that breakfast in Italy really isn't the greatest thing in the world. Coffee, croissants in packages with weird cinnamon goo (which was really not very yummy), and some bread. Oh and lets not forget the melba toast. And carbonated water (ugh!).
So after a very boring and meager breakfast, I went and brushed my teeth and went to the meeting room. From there we were divided into 2 groups and we went out to go and see a bit of Castellamare! It was absolutley beautiful. On one side was the sea, and on the other was mountains. And we walked through narrow streets and crumbling buildings and cobble-stone streets, passing fruit stands and little stores hidden away in an alley.
We also stopped at a bar (cafe), and I got some gelato and it was like a frigid bit of heaven in a cup. And we were allowed to buy beer but I didn't know and one of my turkey friends had a Heineken and so I had a little bit of that. Yes, I had a little bit. Even the leaders were drinking it, and it's legal here so technically I didn't do anything wrong. It was quite refreshing actually.
 






After we returned from our walk we went and had lunch, where I sat with a guy from Serbia, and a guy from Paraguay, as well as Alyssa whom I've mentioned before. It was quite an interesting lunch. We had fun. After that we had more orientations and games and meetings that lasted until supper time. We also had to have an individual interview. And so after talking about Chinese school, Japanese toilettes and Italian bides, we ate supper, and had yet another meeting, and after that I had my interview. I felt really stupid since I had to have someone translate for me, but a lot of people had to have a translator so I guess it's ok. After my interview I met up with Alyssa and the guy from Paraguay as well as Mert from Turkey and a few other people and we went up to the roof and eventually everyone else came up there too and from there us Canadians (Alyssa and I) got a reputation for fun-loving, as at one point we had almost everyone laying on the ground and looking at the sky, and then Marina (from France) took a picture where Alyssa is lying flat and then I'm lying kind of on top of her (not in a weird way) and she was the pancake and I was the maple syrup. And then I was on Alyssa's shoulder's and we were running around and we all had a little dance to no music. I was told by Phoobeth (from Thailand) that I was the best. I felt pretty good about that. You know, makes a person feel good inside. Anyways finally a volunteer came out and made us all go to bed. I had a shower in the cramped bathroom. And whenever you try and raise your arms you end up banging them on the walls and stuff so everyone is always wondering what's goin' on in there. 
(From Left to Right) Alyssa, Predrag (Serbia), Me, Paraguay Guy


The next day was very long. It was all about stereotypes. The whole day. And every country had to present something...AND we had a talent show. So this took us until about 1:30 in the morning. I really think they should learn to divide the time better. It was really interesting to learn about all the countries, but sitting for hours and hours is very tiring, no matter what you're doing.
Alyssa and I presented Canada and I had to teach everyone what an Inukshuk was. It was fun letting people know about our country.
For the talent show Alyssa, Marina and I did the Waka-waka. I was not very good at it but it was fun. It was actually really embarrassing because I can't dance one bit. But it was alright. All the pictures are terrible though. Oh yeah, that night we took a lot of pictures.
Me and Sebastian from Ecuador
Me and Amr from Egypt
Predrag from Serbia
Thailand, Me, Predrag, Amr and Paraguay
Me and Omer from Turkey - sorry it's sideways
  

Alyssa and I with another guy from Paraguay

Waka -Waka

So, we were all super tired. Because we stayed up until around 4:30. Marina and Alyssa and I ended up talking to some University students that were there. But after we were finished they were all like "If you're bored we're on the second floor" and we were like uhmmmmmmm...ok....ciao!!!! And walked away very quickly.
The next day we had some last meetings and a very nice lunch and then we all got ready to leave and said our sad good -byes.
Then Sue Sue and I boarded out train and we arrived in Catanzaro very late. So I guess you could say when I finally got home I was very tired. And Monday was even worse. But it was a good trip and I'm so glad I went. It felt good to finally go and see something like that. Maybe one day I can go back and see Pompei...



4 comments:

  1. Great entry today!! Love the pictures!!

    Were you guided by someone who knew the city when you were walking around or did you just wander at will, discovering as you went?

    XOX Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great blog Mik! Thanks for keeping us entertained.
    Looks and sounds like you have meet a lot of great kids from all over the world. I remember that being one of my favourite parts when I went on my exchange, many moons ago.
    It looks very beautiful there. How lucky you are to be there to enjoy it.

    For those of you who may not know, you can click on the pictures to make them bigger.

    Looking forward to hearing about the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG all those old crumbly building look so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great trip. It was like a mini world tour with many cultures and peoples represented. How interesting! You should have taken your violin and entertained the folks with some music! I am so happy that you were able to go and experience this group of kids and have some fun. I think you needed a change. Isn't is fascinating to think of all the people who have lived in these very ancient cities and what they must have been like? I love that kind of thing.
    Well, I hope you have many more adventures. I hope during yur interview you were able to communicate your frustration with the school situation.
    The photos are great. Thanks for posting them..Love ya Auntie Tami xoxo

    ReplyDelete