Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I Just Love Being Sick (that's sarcasm in there in case you didn't know)

Saturday was supposed to be a day much like Friday, where you go to school and sit outside doing nothing for hours. But luckily, I got sick instead. Things finally caught up with me and I stayed home with a throbbing head and a very unstable stomach. But later that night I was feeling a little better, so Emanuela and I went out around Botricello with Francesco and another new Francesco. We didn't really do anything. Although it was nice to walk around, I would've loved to go to a cafe or something or go in some shops, but, like I said we basically just walked around, and occasionally returned multiple times to a little garden thing surrounded by a hedge tucked away in the back corner of the piazza where there's a rock with a spout jammed in the middle of it. I think at one point and time it used to have a nice constant spout of sparkling water falling from it into the small rock basin at the bottom, but now it's rusted and water leaks outs out as if it's drooling and the basin is covered in scum and muck and dead leaves, and the little angel on the side is cracked and forgotten. The whole thing is barely visible anymore the hedge is wild and overgrown and hides most of it, but for some reason I still kind of liked it, it was probably the most interesting thing in that whole place, because the rest of the place was littered with cigarette butts and it's just grass, rocks, and a big hedge.
Later we up with yet another Francesco and Emanuela told me that he was having his 18th birthday party on Tuesday. The latest Francesco (they're all Francesco it's so confusing!!!) asked me a lot of questions, including the usual how old are you? And do you have a boyfriend? What's your name? Anyways, we didn't talk with him too long, because soon after that Emanuela and I departed and went to the supermarket to buy popcorn because we were going to watch The Wizard of Oz in Italian (although I was exhausted, but how can you say no to that?). And so we then returned to the house and ate a wonderful supper ( I'm sorry I can't remember what we ate that night) and then Emanuela and I settled down and watched The Wizard of Oz with our bags of popcorn, but we were both falling asleep, so we only made it to the part where Dorothy and the gang have just returned to Emerald city with the wicked witch's magic broom, and we turned it off and called it a night.
The next morning, I slept late and then drifted gracefully to the kitchen (HAHAHA) where I ate a small and careful breakfast because I needed to save room for the incredibly huge lunch we have on Sundays. And after breakfast I proceeded to dust my room and vacuum as well as help Antonella peel carrots and slice tomatoes. For lunch we had pasta with some sort of mushroom sauce that was delicious, and then we had tomatoes in olive oil and oregano, with bread and rabbit cooked in oil and rosemary, carrots, oregano and other things. It kind of reminded me of chicken, only better. It was a little chewy at some points, but it was very, very good. Then we had some gelato. There was mocha flavoured, cappuccino flavoured, french vanilla and chocolate. I had a giant mix and it was soooooo good!
After that, Emanuela and I went downstairs where we (well mostly her, I kind of fell asleep at the table) worked on a puzzle with 2000 pieces for like 4 hours. I just about died. Then we watched a bit of T.V. and then it was supper time. But on Sundays Antonella does not cook supper, so Emanuela and I microwaved some hot dogs which we ate between a folded slice of bread with ketchup, as well as leftover vegetables from lunch. It wasn't even that bad.
After supper I said goodnight and had a shower and went straight to bed. I still didn't feel 100%.
Monday, we went to school with the new hours. And it was torture. First of all, we now have to catch the bus at 6:55 am, but I was so tired and confused I thought we had to catch it at 5:55 am, so I woke up an hour too early and scrambled to eat a filling breakfast, because I wouldn't get to eat for 6 hours (but I grabbed some bread stick things for later, not that that was going to do much), and I realized I had an hour to kill. Wonderful. So the whole day I was very tired, and very hungry. I think that is the dumbest thing that we don't even get a chance to eat something. I mean we get a 10 minute break after 3 classes and people can get a chocolate bar out of the vending machine, but people are so hungry they get like 3 or 4 out of there.
When we got back home I scarfed down my pasta and bread, as well as the rest of Emanuela's because she didn't want the rest.
Then I retired to my bedroom where I prepared for my Italian lesson, and then I was off to to that. And the rest, for that day, is history. Oh except it was only me and Antonella and Antonio for supper because Emanuela went out with Stefano for dinner and I decided not to go to that one.
Yesterday, my throat was bothering me a little more, but I ignored it. Nobody went to school again yesterday because there was another protest. But Emanuela, Gregorio, Elenora, Kevin and I went to the mall for a couple hours. The whole day we used those scooter things that all the Italians drive. They are so much fun!!! Anyways since Stefano went with a bunch of other people for a bit, we borrowed his scooter, and Elenora had hers and then another guy from our class had one and he gave Kevin a ride to the mall, with Emanuela with Elenora on her scooter (I don't know what else to call them), and Gregorio and I on Stefano's. At the mall I didn't get anything. I saw nothing that I liked at the moment, but we weren't there that long anyways. But while we were there I had a Cafe Moka Ice, it is the best iced coffee I have ever had in my entire life (and it felt nice on my throat). Soon after that, we left. But we only had 2 bikes, so Gregorio drove Emanuela down to meet Stefano and came back and got me, and Elenora and Kevin went on hers. Then we stopped at a lounge restaurant and Elenora and Gregorio left us for a minute to go and drop off Stefano's bike and they returned on Elenora's. At the restaurant, Gregorio ordered me a "coffee drink." I thought he meant a coffee you know? But nope. It was pop....that tasted like coffee. It was surprisingly delicious. And as we were sitting there, another Francesco (I met him before when I was out with Emanuela and Kevin) and his friend drove up on his bike and we talked with him for a bit. Well I didn't talk with him haha but you know what I mean. Then Gregorio and Elenora left yet again to go and buy a volleyball. They returned shortly and then Elenora drove Kevin to the place we were going to next, and Francesco dropped his friend off with Kevin, then Elenora and Francesco came back and Gregorio went with Elenora and I rode with Francesco. For some reason he must have thought I was worried to go with him or something and he said "Ehhmm don't worrieee, io sono bravo" which means basically "I'm good."And I was like "...Ok...haha"
When we got there, Francesco and his friend departed and the rest of us went and hit a volleyball around for a bit, but it was so hot, it was the saddest attempt at passing a volleyball I've ever been a part of.
Finally, it was time to catch the bus. So Kevin left us (as he lives in Lido), and Elenora drove both me and Gregorio to the bus stop and then she took off.
When we got back I once again scarfed down my lunch and this time, my Italian lesson started an hour later so I went and chilled with Emanuela and I helped her choose an outfit for that night since she was going to the other Francesco's birthday party. I lent her my jeggings (leggings that look like jeans) and she was soo happy I thought it was funny. So once again that night for supper it was just me and Antonella and Antonio, and then I retired to bed.
This morning when I woke up I just about died my throat was so bad and I had a very horrible feeling of nausea, and not to mention I was sweating like crazy. So I stayed home once again. It's getting a little frustrating that I'm sick actually, although I do need the sleep.
Today, Emanuela did not come home for lunch because she stayed in Lido after school with Stefano. So it was me and the parents again for lunch. All I've done today is eat and sleep, and I'm not feeling any better. I don't know how long this will last.
And now here I sit. It's about 5:30 pm and I'm alone (which is totally fine) and I'm listening to the Rolling Stones and I have a constant glass of water by my side, I've lost count of how many times I've had to pee.
And now I will take my leave, I have to pee again, and I'm really tired.
Cheers,
-Mikeala

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mikeala..Sorry you have not been feeling well. It was bound to happen,I suppose, but still no fun for you. Has anyone looked at your throat? If you can, look at it and see if there are any white patches on it. If there are and it is still sore, you may need an antibiotic. Once you are feeling well you must ask Antonella to take you to some of th places you'd lke to see. You know the old saying, 'The Squeeky Wheel gets the oil" Have you been playing your violin at all since you got there?
    Take care and feel better soon.
    XOXO Auntie Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new blog! Thanks for keeping them coming. It sounds like you are meeting lots of great kids there. Put up some photos of them so we can see who you are talking about.
    Take care of yourself and do what Auntie Tami suggests because you don't want to get worse. And get outside and do something active.

    Looking forward to your next adventure!

    Love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having to pee all the time? Hmm... I wonder what that's like??? Lol. Anyways I really hope you feel better soon and that school goes back to better hours. Omg you've been there nearly a month now, haven't you?!
    TTFN
    Hailey :D

    ReplyDelete