Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Holidays *________*

Alrighty. So. We'll start with Christmas Eve shall we?
Let's begin.
The month of December is basically just a month of family (and I mean the ENTIRE family), and eating more than you ever thought possible...oh and yelling.
So Christmas Eve everyone from Antonio's side of the family came over for dinner. I have discovered that Italians have large families. Anyways. So they all came over and I met cousins and aunts and uncles and more cousins and aunts and uncles, as well as seeing some familiar faces among all the new ones. And once everyone had arrived....the eating commenced. And we certainly ate. Plate after plate of food was carried out. And just when you think it's over....another dish of something arrives. I would tell you what we ate...but first of all I have no idea what any of the dishes are called...oh except the pasta with tentacles...which we ended up eating that night, and a slab of meat. But there were many more others where, first of all I don't know what they're called, and second, I don't even know what I'm eating sometimes. But I can assure you it was all very tasty. Except for the raisin Chrismtas-Cake -In-A-Box. But that's ok. Then after we had all eaten our fill, wine and other liquors were brought out...for the adults...but we managed to have some wine and champagne anyways....and all the cousins sat down and played a game of cards. After a while however, everyone got bored and so we were allowed to go out. We went to Catanzaro Lido and went to a bar called Juice (and everyone here pronounces it Joo-ihs....I think it's hilarious)...and I had my traditional glass of Bailies which I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to enjoy this year. But it turns out I got to have my Christmas glass of Bailies two times over this year when we went to the second bar. And then we got bored and came home and went to bed, stuffed and tired. So that was Christmas Eve. And on Christmas Eve I can never sleep. So maybe around 4 in the morning I finally started drifting to sleep. And by around 7:00 am I was finally dead and gone.
Then......at 8 FLIPPIN 30 IN THE MORNING...........................
*thumpthumpthumpTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP! "MIKYYYYYYY (MEE-KAY)!!!!!!!!!"
"Manu? Che caz-" WHUMPF! Emanuela jumps on my bed and starts bouncing rather spastically till my brains are scrambled. I utter a small reluctant groan and made it quite clear I was NOT ready to get out of bed yet. But I learned that Italians don't really take "no" of any form for an answer....and so then my nice warm wonderful covers are whipped off the bed and there is a death grip on my arm...and then another on my leg and I am dragged and dumped on the freezing ceramic tile floor.
"MIKY E NATALE E NATALE E NATALE!!!!!!!!" Which means Miky it's Christmas....x3 maybe more O.o
And so soon I am shuffling my way downstairs to the Christmas tree with sleep in my eyes and a fresh chill in my bones from lying on the freezing floor. When I finally manage to make it down the stairs I find Doriana and Manu waiting for me. Antonio and Antonella were still sleeping. So we opened our presents....Doriana gave me a pair of earrings and Manu gave me some cream and perfume stuff and Antonella and Antonio gave me a pair of Pluto (the dog) slippers. The girls enjoyed their stockings and the earrings I gave them....well mom sent everything so it was mostly her...but I'm still taking the credit :)
After we opened our presents we woke the parents and they opened their presents upstairs in the kitchen. Antonella loved all her bath stuff...and Antonio liked his beer glass....I'm pretty sure. He's one of those ones that are really hard to read...but ok. Like they say, "It's the thought that counts" ....right?
Anyways after presents....I was thinking maybe for once we would have a real breakfast. But I have now realized that Italians just don't do breakfast. No exceptions. Here it's all about lunch and dinner. I wouldn't mind that nearly as much if breakfast didn't happen to be my favourite meal. Oh well. I suppose when I come home I can make all the waffles and pancakes and eggs benny that I want. Just gotta wait a little while longer. Anyways so then everyone went and got dressed and tidied up....and then we were off to Mesoraca to have Christmas lunch with Antonella's side of the family.
When we get there I end up meeting even more new family members...just when I thought I'd gotten to know them all...guess not. So after everyone hugged and kissed each other (this means there was a lot of hugging and kissing O.o), we all went to a big dining room and once again began to eat plate after plate of food. Although the things we ate weren't exactly special. It's not like at home where on Christmas you have turkey and mashed potatoes with gravy and cranberry sauce...that meal is only for stuff like Thanksgiving and Christmas and stuff. Here I found the things we ate were the same as what we would eat every other Sunday....there was just lots more.
Then once we had all eaten our fill everyone exchanged gifts and to my surprise, I also received some presents. I was given two scarves, both of which are very nice...and then some sort of....thing that I haven't figured out yet but that's ok! Anyways, the kids all ended up getting bored and so we went upstairs to where Alba (a cousin..she's pretty cool) lives...and we were so bored that we ended up making prank calls. And so we called a pizza place in Cosenza and I ordered a pizza in frantic complicated english. I was told I had the wrong number in Italian...and so I started yelling something about purple popsicles...from what I remember. And then they hung up. How rude. But yeah and after that it was time to go.
When we arrived back in Botricello Manu and I went out with Flavio in the piazza and then, since Manu was wearing very unsuitable shoes for walking around, we went back to the house so she could get changed. And then I gave Flavio his Christmas present, which was a package of Ichiban Noodle Soup (he loves it and is is fascinated by it so I thought it was a pretty good gift). Well I suddenly found myself swept up in an enormous hug and was kissed a million times. So I guess you could say he really liked it. Who knew Ichiban could make someone so happy?
Anyways then we went back out and met up with Flavio's cousin Francesco. Yes. ANOTHER Francesco. Anyways. He has a car. So we went with him. and we went and got some pizza and drove to some small place near Botricello and from there we met up with Francesco....another one. And we ate our pizza and fries and sat in a little park type thing and talked and ran around and Manu and I had a sword fight which turned into a game where you try and poke each other's butt really hard. Fun Stuff.
After that...we all went our separate ways and went home. And that was Christmas. A little strange without snow. And my family and friends. But I wasn't as sad about it as I thought I was going to be. When I got home I talked with my family on Skype for a few hours I believe it was. So that was good.
The following days weren't much. Sleeping late (ish)...make the bed, get dressed, have a breakfast of Nesquick, go back to room, go on Facebook, do nothing, maybe sleep some more...sometimes go running with Dory and Flavio, have lunch all together, do some more nothing, and then go out with friends for a while. One day we went to the hospital, and another we went to Catanzaro just because...but it wasn't that great because everyone was grumpy and it didn't last long. We went into a little place full of model trains and planes and houses and Jesus and Mary. And there was also a violin there...it was gorgeous. I really want it haha. But it wasn't for sale. Shucks. But I got a business card. For a music shop in Lido. Gonna have to make a stop. It's a repair shop. So....yeah. That was pretty much the highlight for me.
One night after supper me and Manu and Dory went out and met up with Flavio and Sebastian, Alessandro and Antonio, and we had ourselves a minnie party. So yes I'll admit there were beverages. But don't worry too much. Anyways. It was good. And we were home by 11:00 p.m.
Then on the 30th it was Antonio's birthday, so all of his family came over for dinner...which was pizza and beer and pastries. Best. Dinner. Ever. And then he received his gifts and everyone went home and that was it. Why is it men never want a big deal out of their birthday and women are always like..."I want everyone to come over, and the house to be clean, and I want diamonds and some love from my husband and I want 6 chocolate cakes."........hmm. Well I'm not going to ponder that someone else can.....I'm sure husbands already have been for years.
Anyways. And then on New Year's Eve we once again had all of Antonio's family over for ANOTHER freakin big dinner....for once in my life, I'm tired of eating. And at half past 12 after there were many congratulations and so on, Dory, Manu and I set off for Le Fontane, where there was a "ball" but really it was more like a giant club full of pervs and people you know...and hard liquor and techno. Woot. That night I wasn't really feelin' it...I dunno maybe I was just tired. And my shoes were already hurting my feet...even though we'd just got there. I ran into some classmates, Chiara, Federica and an already drunk Michelle...even though everything had literally just started. She must have been first in line for drinks. It was kind of hilarious though. Anyways.
So a little while later Doriana ended up running off with some boy and once again we were waiting for her when it was time to go home. We got home at around 7:00 am. So from 1:00 in the morning to 7....that's a pretty long night. And when we were walking to the car I finally couldn't take it anymore...those frickin shoes..so I whipped'em off and went Yukon style barefoot on the freezing rocky pavement to the car. People called me crazy. HAH! You ain't seen nothin'!
 The next day my feet were dead. And before we got home...we stopped at Queens' Disco Pub in Botricello for a bathroom break. But the bathroom was gross...so I held everything until we got home....I'm sure if someone had heard it sounded like there was a tsunami in the bathroom O.o
Speaking of bathrooms....one second everyone....


.........Kep. Back.
Anyways...so I went to bed pretty exhausted. But it wasn't over. The next day we were off once again to Mesoraca. To eat more food. And be around lots and lots of people. Again. And starting off already tired is not a good thing. So off we went. I didn't eat very much when we were there...I just couldn't after a while. And then I sat by the fire and tried not to doze off until it was time to leave. Don't get me wrong I enjoy it while I'm there, it's also just...very tiring. And after, I'm always not only sleepy, but also emotionally drained. And when we got back...me and Manu and Dory went out! Aaaaaaah when we got home it was the most amazing thing to slip under my nice warm covers and go to sleep...finally.
The next day I "accidentally"slept late. And then at lunch, Antonella made pizza. And, although I swore I wouldn't eat on Sunday if there was going to be lots of food..since my poor stomach (and not to mention my hips) couldn't take it anymore...but...when I saw that pizza....well. I guess you could say I changed my mind. And THEN for supper we made three more pizzas. And after that we went out for a little while, came back, and went to bed.
Yesterday I woke up at 9 with a terrible stomach ache...so I stayed in bed, and accidentally fell back asleep until 11:30. And I still felt crappy. So that day I didn't go running. I mostly just slept yesterday...until yesterday night when we had Flavio and Sebastian and Antonio over and we ate our supper that we bought at the grocery store...which was kinda gross. We were in the apartment downstairs. They stayed until close to Midnight and then everyone went home and went to bed. Thank goodness. And this morning I once again woke up late...and I'm still feelin' pretty crappy...which...as I'm sure you've guessed...is pretty crappy. And on Friday we go to school. Great stuff. I think I'll go to bed now...even though it's only 10 after 3 in the afternoon. But I feel like poop ok? And do you know how much time I've spent on this bog? .........alot.  Sooo yeah. Wow. I-I'm......I'm finished. HAHA! Alrighty. Well I suppose that's all for now folks. I hope you enjoy.
Now I'm going to bed.
......Maybe I'll watch a movie first.
IN BED
I'm a genius.
Alright.
Goodnight,
-Mikeala Mikalina

No comments:

Post a Comment