Monday, August 1, 2011

The Final Dayz

After the return from Ischia there remained just about 2 weeks to go before the big departure. Much of this time was spent at the beach, or going out with friends and all such things. I stayed the night at Kyriam's house once and enjoyed my first apple pie that I'd had in a very, very long time...it was GOOD.
Then two days later my alarm woke me up very early where I walked to the station and caught the train to Lido where Dario waited for me in his "Disfunctional Yellow Submarine" Soon we were on our way to a small town called Isca..where one of the most beautiful pieces of coast in Calabria is located. And it is also where his grandparents live. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by his grandma and were given fresh peaches..from their own tree I think. They grew everything. Then his grandpa came in and got us ready and took us to go fishing for parrot fish. I wish I could've taken pictures, but a little while before, I had been robbed. We had been out dancing -.- and someone had broken into the car and stole my basically brand new camera, my ipod, all my money and credit card, bank cards...AND my beloved Ray Bans! I was hysterical. I felt so violated, knowing that someone who I didn't even know had gone through my bag. Now someone is in possession of my camera with glimpses of my life on it, and they saw everything in my bag, and went through my wallet and saw the picture of me and my brother, and left all my gift cards and Canadian money, and saw my ID, but didn't take it. But it was the most horrible feeling. And honestly most of the time people are probably my least favourite thing on the planet. I'm pretty social, but I look around and I look at the society and the mentality and all these things, I get so angry sometimes. And it's things like this that send me over the edge.
Anyways, back to the positives. So we fished away most of the morning, and then after me and D went to the beach, and it was beautiful. The water was a sparkling turquoise and the sand was a soft gold, hot from the sun. I didn't want to leave. But eventually did return to the house, where I had a lovely shower outside and then ate a nice pasta lunch. When we had eaten our fill, his grandpa went and napped and his grandma settled down by the TV, me and D went downstairs and played pool for a while, and then went out exploring on two rickety old-fashioned bicycles that rattled and clanked with every bump in the road. We came to a stream and pedalled across and went up a small windy road through the trees and saw old crumbly houses, when we came across another stream. By this time the day had grown even hotter, so we kicked off our sandals and put out bare feet in the cool water running over the road and watched tad poles dance around our toes. Then we headed back and met two puppies so we stopped to give them a pat and rode on until we reached the house again. Then we went with his grandfather to his orchard where he grew grapes and oranges and pears and peaches and plums, figs, and anything you could ever imagine, and he also made his own wine and he showed me how it worked and everything. It was quite interesting. Too bad you can't do that way up here in the north. By the time we returned, it had grown a bit late, and supper was starting preparation, which was to be the fish we had caught that morning. So to kill time, we got out an old scooter/motorcycle/european style thing and started it up and zoomed around, and then D taught me how to drive it...those things are funnn!! And we were back just in time for fried fish. Although I was a little queazy about cutting off deep-fried heads with eyes glaring up at me...but other than that it was very delicious.
We left right after supper, as I had to be home by midnight and it would take a while to get there. So we said our good-byes and thank-yous and then we were on our way again, happy and very tired from the full day. And on the way back we stopped in Lido for a frappe and a bounce on some trampolines before I arrived back at the house early and went to bed, tanned and exhausted.
So, I'm sorry I have no pictures to share, but as you can see, I was without a camera at this time. But it was a good day that will never be forgotten.
So here's to a good, sunny day!
-Mik

No comments:

Post a Comment